Checklist for what I used:
- General Hydroponics Flora Series QT – FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro
- Advanced Nutrients Sensical Grow – 1L
- Canna Rhizotonic 0.25 Liter
- General Hydroponics pH Down – 1 Gallon
- Food Grade 3% Hydrogen Peroxide-32 ozs.
- Hanna Instruments HI 98129 Waterproof pH/Conductivity/TDS Tester
LED GROW LIGHT REVIEW
AF-600 LED grow light / 25 plant auto grow day 14
Days 7 -14
- outside temps: 28-38ºC
- inside room temps: 23-26ºC
- rh: 35-65%
chemicals used this week –
- General Hydroponics 3 part. 5ml of AB&C for each 25L bucket
- 5ml Cal Mag for each 25L bucket
- 10ml Rhizotonic
- Lots of pH Down!
- desired EC reading 1.0, desired pH reading 5.7. Adjusted daily.
- on day 14 started hydroponic peroxide (H2o2) 17.5%, 10ml per 25 L bucket
- sexing – have identified 3 males and 1 female on day 14 (males removed).
That’s the boring stuff over. I just wanted to put in bullet points so that any newbie can refer to it (or me come day 62). On day 8 I fired up the bubblers with the above specs, as the roots were pushing out the net pots.
Within 24 hours I noticed excellent root growth and it started getting exciting for the next 7 days as the roots stormed out of the pots into the bubbler. At least 3 times a day, I would lift the lid, raise the pots high and proclaim to my wife “look at this!” … strangely enough she didn’t share my enthusiasm. Women!
However I have been slightly concerned (but then I worry about everything) about pH fluctuation, as it seems that every 24 hours, when I tested with the Tri-metre that the pH had raised from 5.7 to 6.8 or sometimes 7. I seem to be pouring a lot of pH down into the system to keep the pH stable. This cant be great? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be very grateful for them.
Physically though, looking at the seedlings they seem to be doing great, with only tiny amounts of stress showing on the leaves, no apparent stretching and good colour (no signs of bleaching). I started the seedlings off at 42″ from the canopy. I haven’t lifted the light so they are now about 40″ from the AF-600. On day 12 I changed the grow light setting and increased the number of blue panels (switch 1 on, switches 2,3 & 4 off). The light is now running at 40% of its power – WOW I am really starting to dig this light and if for nothing else the pure versatility of it.
Not a lot else to say really. Above and below are a couple of pics at day 14. What I would say is that in comparison with the seedlings in coco-perlite, they are doing fabul-ose-ly! Whether this is more the result of the AF-600 grow light or the hydroponic bubblers, its impossible to be sure. What I do know is that this combination of blue spectrum light with hydro is perfect. These little babies are getting absolutely the best start possible. And I say that with 15 years growing experience, indoors, outdoors, hydro, coco-perlite, soil, 4 crops with this same batch of seeds … this is going to be beautiful.
On days 13 and 14 I was able to identify 3 males and 1 female. Now I’ve been working on this particular strain for 2 years and I’ve never seen sign of sex this early. Another indication of things to come?
On day 14 I started adding H202. Didn’t think they were lacking, but I had just been to the grow shop and got some. Sometimes ,I should remember that less is more … but god how I wish I had a CO2 system right now. More can be more!
I’m hoping by the time the next report is written that all the females will be selected and the NFTs will be running. The missus will be glad to get them out of the bedroom too ..
I am going to take a gamble now. Because of the size of the seedlings and their excellent booming growth rate and my increasing confidence in this light system, I may only put 12 seedlings on the table under the AF-600. I think that despite them being a shortish auto, they are going to be big enough to fill it. I’ll play it by ear .. no promises! Also, if I do this, I will go against all advice from other auto growers and nip them out. I actually think that in optimum growth conditions, autos CAN be pruned and will produce more per plant with a touch of early meristem tip pruning.
Thats it for now, we are about to enter the most crucial stage in auto growing! Wish me luck ..
Here’s an update on this post … all you need to know about what happened with this oh so promising grow can be unearthed in this sad post here: Water Temps in a Hydro System